Congress established the Federal Housing Agency (FHA) – Housing Finance Agency (HFA) Multifamily Risk-Sharing program in 1992 to increase and speed up FHA’s multifamily mortgage production. The FHA-HFA Risk-Sharing program allows state HFAs that meet rigorous financial standards to underwrite FHA multifamily loans in return for sharing the risk of losses on those loans.
The FHA-HFA Risk-Sharing program has been very successful, with 38 HFAs financing over 1,462 loans, totaling nearly $9.4 billion in principal and supporting more than 163,000 affordable rental homes. In Fiscal Year (FY) 2017, FHA issued firm commitments to HFAs to finance 115 loans, with a total principal balance of $1.56 billion, supporting 14,988 rental homes.
- To find local housing assistance, please contact your state’s Housing Finance Agency (HFA).
- To learn more about NCSHA’s advocacy work in this area or to attend a related education event, complete the general inquiry form.
- Members of the media, please contact Lisa Bowman, Director of Marketing and Communications, at email@example.com.
- FHA-HFA Multifamily Loan Risk-Sharing Program FAQ (Word Document Download) — 2017
- HUD letter on Federal Finance Bank (FFB) initiative for Risk-Share program (2014)
- April 28, 2017Trump Nominates Pam Patenaude for Deputy HUD Secretary
The White House announced today that President Donald Trump intends to nominate Pamela Patenaude to serve as Deputy Secretary for Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- February 10, 2016Administration Releases FY 2017 Budget
On February 9, 2016 the Administration sent Congress its Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 Budget, proposing funding for all federal programs, including HUD and the Department of Agriculture's (USDA) rural housing programs.
- March 27, 2015Ed Golding to Replace Biniam Gebre as FHA Head
HUD announced yesterday that Biniam Gebre, the Acting Commissioner of the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and Acting Assistant Secretary for the Office of Housing, will leave his position with FHA on April 7.
FHA-HFA Risk-share Program - Resources
- September 6, 2018State Housing Finance Agencies: At the Center of the Affordable Housing System
Ten years after the Great Recession forced the federal government to make major changes to the nation’s housing system, state housing finance agencies have become more important than at any other time in their history to the system’s ability to make affordable housing available in America. This new report explains how.
- September 5, 2018FHA-Federal Financing Bank Risk-Share Letter to HUD
This letter was sent to the Deputy Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Pam Patenaude, regarding the Federal Housing Administration's Federal Financing Bank Risk-Share option.
- January 5, 2018FHA-HFA Multifamily Loan Risk-Sharing Program FAQ
Congress established the Federal Housing Agency (FHA) - Housing Finance Agency (HFA) Multifamily Risk-Sharing program in 1992 to increase and speed up FHA’s multifamily mortgage production. The FHA-HFA Risk-Sharing program allows state HFAs that meet rigorous financial standards to underwrite FHA multifamily loans in return for sharing the risk of losses on those loans. More...
- 2018 NCSHA Annual Conference & Showplace | NCSHA Members Only | October 13 – 16, 2018