Many HFAs administer the Housing Choice Voucher (voucher) program, HUD’s largest rental assistance program, assisting more than five million people in 2.2 million low-income households. Eligible households use vouchers (also called tenant-based Section 8 rental assistance) to help pay the rent on privately owned homes of their choosing. Additionally, program administrators, like HFAs, can reserve a portion of their vouchers to provide rental assistance to particular properties (referred to as “project-basing”) or help eligible households buy homes. Advocating for funding adequate to renew all authorized vouchers and provide for new ones is one of NCSHA’s Legislative Priorities.
- To find local housing assistance, please contact your state’s Housing Finance Agency (HFA).
- To learn more about NCSHA’s advocacy work in this area or to attend a related education event, complete the general inquiry form.
- Members of the media, please contact Lisa Bowman, Director of Marketing and Communications, at email@example.com.
- Housing Choice Voucher FAQ
- HUD’s Housing Choice Vouchers Webpage
- NCSHA’s Talking Points for Meetings with Appropriations Committee Members
- May 24, 2018House Financial Services Committee Advances Bills Aimed at Voucher Mobility, Transitional Housing
On May 22, the House Committee on Financial Services advanced the Housing Choice Voucher Mobility Demonstration Act of 2018, HR 5793, and the Transitional Housing for Recovery in Viable Environments Demonstration Program (THRIVE) Act, HR 5735.
- May 17, 2018Representatives Duffy and Cleaver Introduce Voucher Mobility Demonstration Bill
On May 16, House Financial Services Housing and Insurance Subcommittee Chairman Sean Duffy (R-WI) and Ranking Member Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) introduced the Housing Choice Voucher Mobility Demonstration Act of 2018, HR 5793.
- April 20, 2018Recent Congressional Hearings Focus on Housing Choice Voucher Program Funding and Legislative Proposals
On April 17, two House Subcommittees held hearings focused on HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher (voucher) program. The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development (THUD) followed-up on its earlier Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 Budget hearing to dive deeper into the Administration’s proposals for vouchers and other programs under HUD’s Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) purview.
Housing Choice Vouchers - Resources
- March 13, 2018National Low Income Housing Coalition | The Gap: A Shortage of Affordable Rental Homes
The 2017 report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) measures the availability of rental housing affordable to extremely low income households and other income groups.
- May 16, 2016Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University | The State of the Nation’s Housing 2015
One telling indicator of the state of the nation’s housing is the drop in the homeownership rate to just 64.5 percent last year, erasing nearly all of the increase in the previous two decades. The number of homeowners fell for the eighth straight year, signaling persistently weak demand in this key market segment. And the trend does not appear to be abating, with the national homeownership rate down to 63.7 percent in the first quarter of 2015.
- May 16, 2016Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University | America’s Rental Housing: Expanding Options for Diverse and Growing Demand
The decade-long surge in rental demand is unprecedented. In mid-2015, 43 million families and individuals lived in rental housing, up nearly 9 million from 2005—the largest gain in any 10-year period on record. In addition, the share of all US households that rent rose from 31 percent to 37 percent, its highest level since the mid-1960s.
- April 6, 2018HUD, VA Team Up to Help Homeless Veterans Find Permanent HomesHUD.gov
- 2018 NCSHA Annual Conference & Showplace | NCSHA Members Only | October 13 – 16, 2018