HUD and USDA housing programs are classified as discretionary programs, meaning that Congress must set annual funding levels for them through the budget and appropriations process. NCSHA advocates in support of appropriations for affordable housing programs broadly, but with special emphasis on our priority programs, HOME and rental assistance. As part of these efforts, NCSHA leads the HOME Coalition and serves as a member of the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding and the Preservation Working Group.
- To find local housing assistance, please contact your state’s Housing Finance Agency (HFA).
- To learn more about NCSHA’s advocacy work in this area or to attend a related education event, complete the general inquiry form.
- Members of the media, please contact Lisa Bowman, Director of Marketing and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NCSHA’s FY 2019 Budget Chart
- NCSHA Analysis of Administration’s Proposed FY 2019 Budget
- NCSHA’s Talking Points for Meetings with Appropriations Committee Members
- House Transportation-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Transportation-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee
- House USDA Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate USDA Appropriations Subcommittee
- August 3, 2018Senate Passes FY 2019 HUD and USDA Funding Bills
The Senate on August 1 voted 92-6 to approve a four-bill “minibus” spending package including the Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development (THUD) and Agriculture (USDA) bills.
- July 5, 2018HUD Releases Housing Counseling NOFA for FY 2018
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) July 3 issued a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) for its Housing Counseling Grant program for fiscal year (FY) 2018.
- June 22, 2018Senate Rejects Rescission Bill That Would Have Reduced Funding for Affordable Housing Programs
The Senate June 20 rejected the Administration-proposed Spending Cuts to Expired and Unnecessary Programs Act, 48 – 50. If enacted, the bill would have rescinded $14.7 billion in funding that had previously been approved by Congress.
Appropriations - Resources
- July 2, 2018HOME Coalition Thank You Letter on House Appropriations Committee Passed FY2019 Bill
The HOME Coalition sent this letter to thank the House Appropriations Committee for their support of the HOME Program.
- July 2, 2018HOME Coalition Thank You Letter on Senate Appropriations Committee Passed FY2019 Bill
The HOME Coalition sent this letter to thank the Senate Appropriations Committee for their support of the HOME Program.
- May 29, 2018Capital Magnet Fund Rescission Sign-On Letter
NCSHA was one of 68 organizations to sign this letter submitted to Majority Leader McConnell, Minority Leader Schumer, Speaker Ryan, and Minority Leader Pelosi on May 21st, 2018, opposing the Administration's proposal to recapture $151 million in funding of the Capital Magnet Fund (CMF).
- June 21, 2018White House Releases Sweeping Proposal to Reorganize GovernmentThe Hill
- June 21, 2018Senate Rejects Billions in Trump Spending Cuts as Two Republicans Vote ‘No’Washington Post