Job Number: 21-008
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Deadline: September 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM
Location: Lexington County, South Carolina
The SC State Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing) helps families across the state obtain affordable, safe housing. Our staff is passionate about creating solutions that truly makes a difference in the lives of others! We are seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic person to join our team of accountants in our Finance Division (Finance)! The ideal candidate will be excited about contributing to the agency’s mission of creating affordable housing opportunities for the citizens of South Carolina.
Finance works to accurately report SC Housing’s financial position and activities to the Board of Commissioners and stakeholders. We work to efficiently process financial transactions that support the operations of the Authority and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Though we are a small state agency, Finance oversees a billion dollar balance sheet. We work in two financial arenas – one government based and the other similar to any private sector bank. We are seeking a seasoned finance professional that can work comfortably in both arenas. We have many different divisions and programs, each with complex accounting and financial reporting requirements. This is a great agency to build skills and relationships, positively impact communities and families across the state, and work with a team that collectively has more than 170 years of accounting and finance experience.
Responsibilities of the Senior Accountant
In this role, you will oversee cash, investment and loan accounting and work with the agency’s finance lead for the issuance, reporting and tracking of bonds. You will have the opportunity to work closely with a seasoned bond expert to learn the process. You will perform a variety of complex duties, including but not limited to:
- Directing the purchase of single family and multi-family mortgages and DPA loans and their recording in the general ledger.
- Working with and maintaining high-level communications with the Office of State Treasurer, The Bank of New York, financial advisors, underwriters, and disclosure and rating agencies.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reporting for a variety of audiences, including HUD, disclosure and rating agencies, and the Board of Commissioners.
- Providing analysis and documentation for the issuance of new bonds.
- Analyzing balances and making recommendations for the use of bond funds.
- Ensuring that single family and multi-family bond disclosures reports, surveys, and other information requests are prepared, reviewed and submitted prior to the deadline.
- Providing guidance to the Banking area Finance by reviewing reconciliations and area processes.
- Maintaining direct involvement in the mortgage purchase and servicing operations to include SCEIS and AOD.
- Providing report/analysis of bond funds, loan purchasing and servicing information to determine accuracy and reasonableness of information.
- Reviewing and approving accounts payable and journal entries in the general ledger.
- Assisting with monthly and annual accounting and closing journal entries.
- Assisting with implementation of monthly closing checklists and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Reviewing monthly loan reconciliation.
- Making and tracking bond debt service payments.
The Palmetto State offers something for everyone. Located in the Midlands, Columbia is both the state capital and South Carolina’s second-largest city. It is just a short commute to the state’s beautiful beaches and gorgeous mountains. Sunny summers and mild winters allow residents to experience the outdoors year-round, a plus considering that Lake Murray is just minutes away. Great universities and colleges, minimal commute times and friendly people make South Carolina the ideal place to build your future.
The South Carolina State Housing Finance & Development Authority offers an exceptional benefits package for FTE positions that includes:
- Health, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance for employee, spouse, and children
- 15 days annual (vacation) leave per year
- 15 days sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- State Retirement Plan and Deferred Compensation Programs
For more information and to apply online, please visit: