Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA), one of the Nation’s preeminent Housing Finance Agencies and one of the State’s ten largest financial institutions, is currently seeking a Physical Inspector to build upon their 50+ year leadership in housing finance.
This position is housed within the Asset Management department, which monitors long-term physical, financial, operational, and administrative compliance for IHDA-assisted developments. This position is housed within the following group:
Rental Compliance: Ensures the operational compliance of properties assisted by IHDA loans, grants, or tax credits through: physical inspections based on applicable HQS, UPCS, and REAC standards; review/monitoring of capital improvement requests; management, occupancy, and tenant file reviews; rent/income limit/utility allowance calculations; affirmative marketing plan review/approval; tenant selection plan review/approval; management plan review/approval; and tenant/management relations.
- Conducts physical condition monitoring reviews of assigned portfolio of projects based on prescribed timeframes (to assess and facilitate compliance with applicable Federal, State, local rules and standards).
- During site visits, inspects the current physical conditions to ensure appropriate compliance with property standards and regulatory requirements so the related housing remains decent, safe, and sanitary.
- During site visits, inspects improvements or repairs related to previously noted compliance deficiencies or insurance claims to ensure proper workmanship and compliance with the approved scope of work.
- Reviews and approves physical condition improvement scopes of work, budgets, and schedules as appropriate.
- Prepares and maintains all physical inspection documentation (including compliance monitoring findings, responses, resolutions, reports) as required.
- Education: High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience may be substituted for education at the discretion of the Asset Management department.
- Experience: At least 2 years’ experience conducting inspections, bid reviews, and/or physical needs assessments for multifamily rental housing developments required. Experience with affordable housing preferred.
- Proficiency in Housing Quality Standards (HQS), Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC), and Uniform Physical Condition Standards (UPCS) desired.
- Thorough knowledge of the following funding sources/programs desired: LIHTC, HOME, Section 8, Risk Share, Tax Exempt Bonds, and Illinois Affordable Housing Trust Fund.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency in HUD inspection software, including REAC, desired.
- Training: General physical inspection and UPCS, HQS, and REAC training required (completed within one year or earliest available date, whichever is later).
- Certifications: REAC certification required (achieved within one year or earliest available date, whichever is later). In tandem with REAC certification, must obtain and maintain related required insurance/bonding.
- Valid Driver’s License: Required.
- Access to Personal Vehicle: Required along with appropriate insurance.
- Frequency of Travel: Frequent – 50-75% annually.
Excellent benefits package, including 401 (k); immediate vesting.
To apply, submit resume to: