Program Associate, Health and Housing
LOCATION: Washington, DC—Gallery Place/City Center
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
Stewards of Affordable Housing or SAHF is a collaborative of thirteen exemplary multi-state nonprofit affordable housing providers who own more than 138,000 affordable rental homes. SAHF members are committed to long-term affordability, sustainability and expansion of rental housing that makes a difference in people’s lives. SAHF’s mission is to advance the creation and preservation of healthy, sustainable affordable rental homes that foster equity, opportunity, and wellness for people of limited economic resources.
SAHF and its members apply on-the-ground experience to advance change in policy and practice. They leverage one another’s best practices and collaborate with one another and SAHF’s affiliate, NAHT, on business and mission opportunities. SAHF focuses on pursuing innovation where the scale of the collaborative can have unique and substantial impact. SAHF and its members are committed to scaling their successes through business innovations and policy change. Examples include SAHF’s work to improve health outcomes for low-income individuals and families through thought leadership and best practices, financing innovations and healthy building practices.
SAHF’s members provide resident services in many of their properties and are deeply committed to identifying those services that can most effectively make a difference in people’s lives. As a collaborative, they are committed to working both independently and together on resident services, housing policy, housing operations and management, healthy building practices and active design, and energy and water conservation. SAHF members are also committed to measuring their impact, leveraging data to evaluate outcomes to foster new partnerships, collaborations and initiatives. Please see our recent Building to Impact report as an example.
This dynamic position allows for significant independence, creativity, and the opportunity to experience a wide breadth of issues impacting health and housing. This position will principally support four of SAHF’s efforts related to health and housing: (1) SAHF’s Outcomes Initiative which focuses on how quality affordable housing and often, related services, can contribute to positive outcomes in residents’ lives; (2) SAHF’s efforts to partner with the health care sector to increase and preserve the supply of affordable rental homes; (3) CORES (Certified Organization for Resident Engagement and Services) – a new initiative to support accountability and performance in service-enriched affordable housing; and (4) Bringing Sustainability Home, an initiative that includes work to increase the application of healthy building practices, including using non-toxic materials and active design principles;. This position offers the opportunity to deepen skills in research and analytics, grant and report writing, project management, oral presentations, and program evaluation. It also provides an excellent opportunity to interface with leaders and experts in housing, health, equity and resident services.
Roles and Responsibilities: The Program Associate, Health and Housing will principally work across these four SAHF initiatives and as such, will be accountable to several different team members at SAHF. The Program Associate, Health and Housing primarily reports to the SVP, Health and Housing. This role also supports projects with two other SAHF staff – Director, Resident Outcomes and SVP, Energy. The Director, Resident Outcomes acts as a co-manager with the SVP, Health and Housing, providing in office management, support and guidance. The SVP, Health and Housing is based in New York City, but will typically be in the Washington, DC office once a month or more often for in-office meetings, conferences and convenings. In addition, the SVP, Energy and some SAHF members are based on the west coast so from time to time, the Program Associate may have to be available outside standard east coast business hours. The Associate is expected to interface with the SAHF board and members as well as outside partners and organizations. The Program Associate, Health and Housing will have the following broad job responsibilities:
Research, Writing and Analysis:
- Support SAHF’s Health and Housing work through literature reviews; ongoing short-term research; development of case studies, guides and success stories; grant applications and reports; data analysis, marketing, promotional and website summaries; and convening summaries.
- Curate and keep up to date a compendium of research relevant to health and housing topics and health outcomes.
- Assist with thought leadership related to health outcomes.
- Identify, develop, and maintain health outcomes content on SAHF’s various websites (public, member and CORES).
Provide ongoing support for CORES including but not limited to:
- Key role in managing Virtual Resource Library for Resident Services, which includes researching and analyzing materials and interfacing with organizations to obtain permission for materials.
- Track applications and developing and analyzing reports. Participate in the review of CORES applications.
- Develop and/or update content for CORES website and other promotional materials
SAHF Member and Partner Engagement and Customer Service:
- Foster partner engagement by ensuring appropriate follow up with stakeholders; also engage new stakeholders that align with SAHF’s mission.
- Engage with affordable housing owners on their past experience with and interest in healthy building programs.
- Engage with SAHF members to stay up to date on health and housing initiatives across the SAHF portfolio.
- Facilitate and support SAHF member peer groups or other working groups related to health outcomes.
- Support CORES outreach and partnership efforts.
- Serve as primary point of contact and take a key role in managing relationships with external vendors for the CORES application portal.
- Provide technical assistance and support to CORES applicants.
Meeting Planning, Support and Facilitation; Presentations; and Conference Support and Participation:
- Assist with convening, roundtable and conference planning, including content and agenda setting, logistics and note taking.
- Develop and support presentations for meetings and conferences, to be delivered by other SAHF staff or by the associate.
- Develop materials and presentations for the CORES Initiative.
- Represent SAHF as requested at conferences or meetings; staff exhibits.
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic credentials required.
- Excellent writer.
- Strong analytic, project management, organization and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- A demonstrated interest in the social determinants of health, particularly around housing and health outcomes.
- Familiarity and or experience with affordable housing policy and programs and resident services is a plus.
- Experience in public health research and understanding of the social determinants of health and health equity are desirable.
- Familiarity with the impact of the built environment, including healthy building practices, on health outcomes is also desirable.
- Committed to collaboration, excellent customer service and SAHF’s mission.
Submit resumes to email@example.com. Due to the volume of resumes usually received, we regret that we cannot individually respond to all candidates.