Part-Time Maintenance Laborer (Sitka, AK)
PART-TIME MAINTENANCE LABORER (M-F) (20 HR/WK)
Position Summary: Under general supervision performs semi-skilled and/or unskilled maintenance and repair tasks on the AHFC’s buildings, apartments, grounds and equipment.
Reports to: LEAD MECHANIC OR DESIGNEE
Work involves basic knowledge of heating, mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, pest control, cement/masonry, electricity, painting and other finish work. Work may involve a variety of duties requiring moderately physical labor and the use of chemicals, tools and mechanical equipment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Non-Exempt, non-supervisory, union position.
Full supervision is not exercised; however, may occasionally furnish work direction to other laborers and custodians in completion of assigned tasks in temporary absence of supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Performs minor maintenance and repair tasks to AHFC buildings and equipment including: cleaning, gas and oil heating systems, ventilation, mechanical, plumbing, utility and alarm systems, electrical, glazing, roofing, carpentry, cement/masonry, flooring, painting and other finishes.
- Performs seasonal preventive maintenance work on heating and boiler systems, such as draining fluid systems, checking water levels. May perform emergency repair work of systems.
- Performs maintenance of grounds by cleaning up debris; removing rubbish; digging shallow trenches; seeding, watering, mowing and general cultivating of lawns; shapes and controls trees and shrubs to desired size by pruning; raking grass and leaves; operates spraying equipment. Clears snow and ice from buildings and grounds by shoveling, operating a snow plow, snow blower, as needed, to ensure tenant safety.
- Performs general cleaning and preparation of units for renovation, including moving heavy objects such as refrigerators, stoves, etc.
- Perform moderately heavy manual labor, in or out-of-doors, including lifting heavy objects, with strength and agility and to work under adverse weather conditions, if necessary, such as heat, cold and around mechanical equipment, chemicals, tools and with soil.
- May be assigned Master keys for assigned location. Required to read and follow AHFC Key/Card Receipt form. Notify supervisor immediately of the loss of any key.
- Required to be on-call on a rotating basis for duty stations in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, and Bethel.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: Methods, tools, practices and systems used in the mechanical, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, cement/masonry and painting trades. Occupational hazards and safety precautions, standard practices, processes and materials involved in each trade relating to general building construction and maintenance and to grounds and equipment maintenance. Cultivation and maintenance of trees, lawns and ornamental shrubs and use of the equipment to perform such work.
Skills in: Use and care of tools and equipment employed in each trade relating to general building construction and maintenance and to grounds and equipment maintenance.
Abilities: Work harmoniously with other maintenance employees, tenants, the general public and property management staff. Perform moderately heavy manual labor, in or out-of-doors, including lifting heavy objects, with strength and agility and to work under adverse weather conditions, if necessary, such as heat, cold and around mechanical equipment, chemicals, tools and with soil. Operate motor vehicles including a pickup truck and small dump truck. Follow oral and written instructions. Meet the public effectively and give information regarding the AHFC buildings and grounds. Be available by telephone for emergency overtime and after-hours service calls.
- High school diploma or equivalent. One year of experience in the care and maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment, or any combination of experience or training.
- At least six months of data processing and Microsoft Office related computer experience.
- Physical demands: lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds repeatedly during an 8 hour workday.
- Provide valid Alaska driver’s license and show proof of driving record in good standing from DMV when requested.
This is a union position with an hourly rate of $18.80. Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and leave package.
All external applicants tentatively selected for this position shall be required to submit to urinalysis and breath alcohol testing to screen for illegal drug/alcohol use and complete a pre-employment physical prior to appointment.
A complete job description and online application may be obtained from the website at https://www.ahfc.us/about-us/jobs/all-job-seekers/. A new AHFC application must be submitted for each position (a resume may be attached).
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AT WORKPLACE ALASKA
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED ON AHFC’S WEBSITE WILL BE CONSIDERED
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED
AHFC provides employment opportunities to low and very-low income persons, in compliance with Section 3 of the HUD Act of 1968. Public Housing Residents are encouraged to apply.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER