Director of Federal Programs/Program Manager V
Official Title: Program Manager V
Functional Title: Director of Federal Programs
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-100 Cambridge Street
Job: Administrative Services
Agency: Department of Housing & Community Development
Job Posting: Mar 26, 2021, 4:44:49 PM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $38,067.12 – $93,000.00 Yearly
Bargaining Unit: M99-Managers (EXE)
The Director of Federal Programs assists the Deputy Director of Rental Assistance in the administration of Department of Housing and Community Development’s (DHCD’s) 20,000+ unit federal rental assistance portfolio, as well as the federal Moving to Work (MTW) program and its associated initiatives. This leadership role supports the division in meeting and buttressing many important aspects of DHCD’s mission, including: providing decent affordable housing for the Commonwealth’s poorest residents; increasing income and assets for this population; funding workforce development and economic mobility programs; providing capital funding for affordable housing development; and reducing and preventing homelessness.
The Director of Federal Programs is responsible for the overall management of day-to-day operations and the administrative strategies of the division’s federal programs, which are administered by nine regional administering agencies. This includes directly overseeing the Assistant Director, Federal Programs and indirectly overseeing the six staff that report to that position, as well as directly overseeing the Assistant Director, Policy and Implementation and indirectly overseeing the two staff that report to that position. The Director of Federal Programs is responsible for ensuring that all federal programs meet compliance requirements and exceed in performance. This includes identifying deficiencies among the nine regional administering agencies and implementing corrective action plans, as well as managing the roll-out of administrative and/or policy changes, special projects, and high-profile initiatives.
Major Responsibility Areas include:
- Assist the Deputy Director and/or Director of the division in planning for and implementing major policy changes, special initiatives, and time-limited projects that may involve coordinating with other stakeholders, drafting policy guidance and training materials, and representing DHCD and the division at public meetings. Oversee and support the work being completed by the policy and implementation team.
- Stay up to date on all federal rental assistance-related appropriation and authorization legislation, both proposed and enacted; remain abreast of all U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-published Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Notices. Ensure the dissemination of key points and likely impacts on federal rental assistance programs to the division and other DHCD staff, as appropriate.
- Complete annual revisions to the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) Admin Plan, and develop and issue policy memos, guidance, and trainings to the nine regional administering agencies and DHCD staff as necessary. Oversee the development of the Moving to Work Annual Plan and Annual Report.
- Supervise and guide staff to accomplish program objectives, including distributing or adjusting staff workload, managing staff time and personnel issues, and performing annual Employee Performance Review System (EPRS) and Achievement and Competency Enhancement System (ACES) reviews.
- In coordination with the Fiscal Director, develop and disseminate regular operating reports detailing leasing and utilization, as well as funding reports with annual projections. Assist in analyzing the budget and impacts of major funding changes to federal programs; assist in responding to HUD audits and other audits, as necessary. Oversee the approval of invoices promptly for processing by Finance.
- Manage certain division procurements for services and products and pursue grant and funding opportunities as identified by the Deputy Director and/or the Director of the division.
- Represent DHCD and the Rental Assistance Division at meetings, events, conferences, and working groups sponsored by DHCD and/or its administering agencies, HUD, the Veterans Administration, industry and advocacy groups, and others. This may include making presentations, facilitating discussions, developing training materials, engaging in strategy sessions, and taking a leadership role, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the Section 8 rental assistance program or other equivalent rental assistance programs, including experience with the administration of such programs and an understanding of the financing and operational aspects of rental assisted housing is strongly preferred.
- Experience with the Section 8 Moving to Work Program is strongly preferred.
- Experience in Massachusetts state government and familiarity with state contracting, procurement, and/or fiscal procedures preferred.
- Excellent organizational, management, supervisory, interpersonal, public speaking, and writing skills and a working knowledge of federal housing programs, regulations, and guidelines are essential.
- Ability to negotiate issues with diverse constituents is essential.
- Possesses an advanced degree in public policy, planning, and/or public administration.
- At least two years in a managerial and supervisory capacity overseeing a rental assistance program is strongly preferred.
- At least intermediate proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access.
- Occasional travel is a requirement of this position. Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or the equivalent from another state is required.
Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is within Housing and Economic Development Secretariat and its work touches the lives of all Massachusetts residents. DHCD’s mission is to strengthen cities, towns and neighborhoods to enhance the quality of life of Massachusetts residents by providing leadership, professional assistance and financial resources to promote safe, decent affordable housing opportunities, economic vitality of communities and sound municipal management.
Please upload resume and cover letter.
Salary placement is determined by years of experience and education directly related to the position and the Human Resources Division’s Recruiting Guidelines.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines. Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
A background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Human Resources Division prior to the candidate being hired.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) five (5) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, professional internship, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
- A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required experience.
- A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of the required experience.
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Marjorie Lalli – 6175731000
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://massanf.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=210002XV