POSITION NUMBER: 60026971
AGENCY HIRING RANGE – MIN: $80,000.00
AGENCY HIRING RANGE – MAX: $85,000.00
LOCATION: Lexington County, South Carolina
JOB TYPE: FTE – Full-Time
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday (8:30 – 5:00)
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is responsible for the operations of the Finance department of the SC State Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing). The Controller provides oversight to Finance functions and directs the Finance team to include Senior Accountants, Accountants, and Fiscal Analysts. The position manages regulatory reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reporting for various federal programs, state budget reporting, and quarterly financial/budgetary reporting for the Board of Commissioners. The Controller will be Finance’s Professional Contact with respect to our external federal and state authorities to include HUD, Treasury/IRS, State Treasurer’s Office, State Comptroller General’s Office, SC Department of Administration, etc.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Agency chart of accounts
- Finance policies, procedures, and internal controls
The Controller will assist a Financial Operations Team with general oversight of the single family bonds to include but not limited to bond purchase deals, interest rates, and sale of mortgage backed securities. The Controller oversees of the mortgage loan and multi-family loan accounting and reporting. Also, has oversight of the General Ledger with respect to single family first and second mortgage loan receivable balances and entries, and ensures they are reasonable and valid. The Controller oversees the annual audit by external auditors, underwriters, financial advisors, bond counsel and arbitrage analysts.
MINIMUM AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Agency Minimum Qualifications*:
A Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business management or related field of study and five (5) years of full time professional experience in accounting, auditing, finance, mortgage banking or related field. In addition, must have three (3) years of full time management experience to include supervision of professional accountants, auditors and/or finance employees. Knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices and the ability to analyze and interpret complex financial data and reports is essential.
*Candidates must specifically meet the Agency Minimum Requirements or an equivalent combination of education and experience to be considered for this position.
The candidate must possess:
- Outstanding organizational leadership skills
- Ability to develop a high-level of understanding for all business functions throughout SC Housing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to include public speaking. Ability to tailor communications to address the needs of the target audience.
- Ability to communicate to a broad audience to include internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills as well as the ability to analyze complex federal programs and summarize those issues for broad audiences.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and execute assigned tasks and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to prepare, analyze and interpret financial data and reports with a demonstrated expertise in the use of automated accounting systems.
- Must be able to work effectively in an environment with new and changing situations.
- Upholds ethical virtues and influences others to do the same.
Must possess a valid SC driver’s license. Must be able to lift and carry files, books and reports weighing up to 20lbs. Must be able to perform filing, desk work and operate general office equipment. Must be able to sit or stand for prolonged or intermittent periods of time with limited scheduled breaks. Employee must be able to perform these tasks with or without reasonable accommodations. SC Housing is committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, including pregnancy & childbirth (or related medical conditions), age, or disability.
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business management or related field of study and minimum of seven (7) years of full time professional experience in accounting, auditing, finance, mortgage banking or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Governmental Finance Officer (CGFO)
- Experience with South Carolina Enterprise Information System (SCEIS)
Who We Are:
SC Housing is a forward-thinking organization that is committed to changing lives by creating safe, decent, and affordable housing opportunities that fulfill dreams and inspire hope in our citizens. We are transforming the housing industry in our state through cutting-edge programs and competitive, market-based financial products that make homeownership affordable and quality rental housing possible for many. Our staff energizes the work that we do, and helps find solutions that make a difference in the lives of others.
We are seeking change agents who want to use their talents to develop meaningful housing solutions that help individuals and communities to flourish. Our work culture supports creativity, innovation, teamwork, and problem-solving at all levels. We offer an attractive state government benefits package, and flexible schedule options where appropriate. If you are seeking to be a part of a progressive organization that will allow you to connect your passion for improving the lives of others to purpose, we invite you to join our team of energetic housing champions.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT: careers.sc.gov