Building Maintenance Mechanic II (Lewes, DE)
ENTRY LEVEL SALARY: $27,870 FULL-TIME
OFFICE LOCATION: HULING COVE, LEWES, DE
OPENING DATE: 06/10/2019
CLOSING DATE: 06/27/2019
This non-State position is responsible for building maintenance and repair work at a full performance level performing general carpentry, painting, heating, basic plumbing, and other light construction work to handle routine building repairs. Tasks include preparing units for new tenants, responding to and fulfilling work orders for occupied residences, and getting them ready for the next inhabitant. Staff clean and inspect buildings and grounds to ensure they are code compliant, up to HUD standards, livable and safe. They also take care of preventative maintenance needs such as smoke alarms, replacing filters, batteries, light bulbs, door knobs, etc. Work also includes ability to effectively interact with residents and identify and report problems to the supervisor.
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Experience with basic methods and techniques used in a variety of trade fields such as carpentry, plumbing, painting or electrical.
- Knowledge of operation methods and basic maintenance of hand tools, hand power tools, landscaping or grounds keeping equipment and supplies.
- Knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC).
- Knowledge of schematics or blueprints and interpretations.
- Knowledge of record keeping, document maintenance, and inventory control.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction and communicate verbally.
**THIS POSITION REQUIRES AVAILABILITY FOR AND ABILITY TO RESPOND TO PROBLEMS AND/OR EMERGENCIES AFTER NORMAL WORKING HOURS AND ON WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. THIS POSITION REQUIRES A CURRENT AND VALID DELAWARE DRIVER’S LICENSE AND SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.**
Essential functions are fundamental, core and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties. Since specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Works independently and makes routine and complex repairs in a variety of trade fields including carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical. This includes preparing and maintaining units for occupancy including tasks such as: repairing plumbing fixtures, replacing damaged flooring/molding, replacing broken glass windows, replacing minor electrical fixtures, replacing removable parts on ranges and refrigerators, replacing fuses and resets breakers, unstopping clogged drains, spackling nail holes and small cracks, painting interior and exterior trim, walls and storage buildings, minor repairs to heaters and air conditioners, etc. At times repairing maintenance equipment or small electric motors is needed. Staff are also responsible for the installation of replacement of appliances, refrigerators and ranges. Exterior building maintenance includes replacement of entrance doors, outside lighting, splash blocks, shingles, parking stops, downspouts, repair screens, door and window locks as well as cleaning of gutters. Work also include inspecting, maintaining, and repairing playground equipment, dumpster enclosures, and fencing as needed, marking parking lot for handicap parking/spaces, installing signs.
- Performs routine ground keeping duties at the site including: daily grounds clean-up, trimming of trees and shrubs, weeding and mulching of lower beds and raking of leaves, cutting grass, edging and weeding, removal of snow and ice from sidewalks and pathways. Additional duties include the collection of trash from offices and the Community Center for municipal pick-up and removal of large trash from the site.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on heating, air conditioning, smoke alarm systems. This includes checking and changing heater filters regularly, checking the operation of air conditioning units, and testing and replacement of smoke detectors/batteries in all apartments, removing and installing storm windows/screens on all storm doors seasonally as required, performing preventive maintenance on all ground equipment and too, completing interior/exterior inspections at the site with the assistance of the manager to insure that sites are well maintained and all maintenance is up to date
and in accordance with the DSHC, HQS, and DSHA requirements and completing preventative maintenance according to DSHA Policy.
- Maintains work orders showing work performed, records monthly meter readings for all apartments and the Community Center, manages and requisitions supplies as needed, monitors and assists outside contractors in the completion of repairs/contacts.
- Assists with cleaning and vacuuming offices, bathrooms and laundry areas in the Community Center.
- Cleans vacant units when necessary.
These include up to 15 vacation days and 15 sick day leave accrual, up to 13 paid holidays a year, liberal retirement benefits, immediate access to paid health, short and long term disability, and life insurance plans and voluntary dental, vision, and various supplemental benefit options.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Applications must be completed by the closing date of June 27, 2019 on our website www.destatehousing.com (Click on About Us, Employment, Click Here to View All Current Openings, Select job, Scroll Down & Click “Apply Now”.) Contact e-mail: email@example.com
DSHA IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. Please call DSHA at 302.739.4263 or 888.363.8808 with any questions or requests. TTY/ ASCII/ VOICE/ VCO users may utilize the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 800.676.3777.
DIRECT DEPOSIT OF PAY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FAILURE TO AGREE TO PARTICIPATE IN DIRECT DEPOSIT WILL RESULT IN THE WITHDRAWAL OF OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT. DSHA HAS A LAG PAY SYSTEM.