- July 19, 2018by Katelynn HarrisOn July 18, Senator Todd Young (R-IN) introduced S.3231, the Task Force on the Impact of Affordable Housing Crisis Act. The bill establishes an 18-member task force charged with evaluating and quantifying the impact of affordable housing on other government programs and making recommendations to Congress on how to use affordable housing to improve the effectiveness of other federal programs and improve life outcomes.
- July 11, 2018by Katelynn HarrisChildren’s HealthWatch Study Finds Avoidable Health and Education Costs Incurred Due to Unstable HousingChildren’s HealthWatch, a nonpartisan network of pediatricians, public health researchers, children’s health and policy experts, finds that good health begins at home, not at a doctor’s office.
- June 26, 2018by Katelynn HarrisHUD Seeks Comments on Potential Changes to its Final Rule on Fair Housing Act Disparate Impact StandardOn June 20, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) published an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking (proposed rule) inviting comments on HUD’s 2013 Implementation of the Fair Housing Act’s Discriminatory Effects Standard final rule (disparate impact rule) as it seeks to determine what changes to the rule, if any, may be needed to reflect the outcome of the 2015 Supreme Court decision in Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc.
- May 18, 2018by Katelynn HarrisOn May 17, the congressional Joint Economic Committee (JEC) held a hearing to consider the potential positive impacts that Opportunity Zones tax incentives, enacted in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, could have for low-income communities.
- May 16, 2018by Katelynn HarrisA recent study issued by CohnReznick found Low Income Housing Tax Credit (Housing Credit) properties to be operating better than in any other period during the program’s history.